Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Mother's Garden

I remember these photos from my childhood.  It was facinating to imagine my own mother as a child.
Cute little "American Beauty"

My mother was raised on and around farms in the heart of the Midwest.

To this day she claims to have "farmer in her blood."

To that end, my mother has gardened for as long as I can remember.
She mostly plants flowers instead of food - this clematis is blooming right now in her garden.

So are these gorgeous peonies...

I cut them for my table and think of her often as I busy myself around the kitchen.

In my own garden, these pretties are descendants from her own seeds.

As are these multi-generational zinnias (photo is from seasons past).
I think her Midwestern roots will passed to each of us.

When she was a little girl (mother on left, Aunt Suzanne on right), seeds of faith, creativity, love of nature and of  people were sown into her heart by others.

Now we get to enjoy the harvest sown into her life while she continues to plant joy and love in our lives and others.
                                                
Mother,
I am so grateful for the way you have invested in my life.  Your faith, intentional living and general optimism have shaped the way I live.  When I think of you in my childhood, the first word that comes to mind is "Fun!"  You did so many things to inspire creativity and family connection.  Thank you for being consious of your example to daughters.  Your values and faith have been soundly passed to me and I will take these seeds and hand them off to my own children. I wish I could be with you on Mother's Day, but know that I am celebrating all that you are!  
Missy 

1 comment:

Alicia said...

What a beautiful family! Such lovely picture and lovely memories! Hope you have a great Mother's Day!

Blog Archive